IKEA is a Swedish-origin, Netherland-based company that manufactures and sells ready-made furniture items and other home accessories. The company has several different products; one of them is the Hemnes bookcase, a piece of furniture that packs four movable shelves and one stationary shelf.
The Hemnes bookcase is known to be one of the best bookshelves out there. It’s sturdy, beautiful, and made of high-quality materials. The only problem, however, is that IKEA has discontinued selling the Hemnes bookcase with a door.
You can always add doors to the Hemnes bookcase if you like. Like other bookshelves, the first thing you need is to measure and cut the door. After that, trim and paint the door and then hang it appropriately on the bookcase.
How much weight can a hemnes bookshelf hold? Can you add doors to the IKEA hemnes bookcase? What is the best way to attach a door to the Hemnes bookcase? As you read through the rest of this post, you’ll find everything you need to know about the frequently asked questions above.
How Much Weight Can A Hemnes Bookshelf Hold?
What Is A Hemnes Bookcase?
The Hemnes bookshelf is one of the many products that’s designed and manufactured by IKEA. The product is known to pack several high-quality materials, such as solid pine, and fiberboard. The first IKEA Hemnes bookcase was released in August 2018. And so far, many of the products have been sold across the world.
Furthermore, the IKEA Hemnes bookcase is designed to have six rectangular-shaped cabinets. In addition to that, the product also comes with legs, which raise the bookcase from the floor. With the legs, you can always run your cables below the Hemnes furniture.
Speaking of IKEA’s rectangular-shaped cabinets, you need to understand that they are available in two different types; stationary and movable types. Yes, the Hemnes bookcase has one stationary cabinet, which is designed to add stability. As for the rest of the cabinets, they are movable, allowing you to customize your needs.
Hemnes Bookcase Dimensions And Weight
Overall, the IKEA Hemnes bookshelf has a height of 83.5 inches (212 cm). As for its width, it measures 35.375 inches (90 cm). The product also has an overall depth of 14.625 inches (37 cm).
Here are a few frequently asked questions regarding the Hemnes bookcase; can the bookshelf hold big and heavy art books? How much weight, exactly, can the bookcase hold?
As earlier mentioned, the Hemnes bookcase is made of solid pine wood. In case you don’t know, pine is durable and elegant. The wood is also known to have ample structural strength. As such, it’s safe to say that the Hemnes bookcase is very strong and can hold big and heavy art books.
The IKEA Hemnes bookcase does not sag and can hold up to 30kg or 66.14 lbs per shelf. However, you need to understand that some of the products, such as the Hemnes Bookcase White Stain, can only hold up to 15 kg or 33 lbs of weight. You can check here to have a look and order the product.
The bottom line is that how much weight your IKEA Hemnes bookcase can hold will depend on the size of the product you have. Generally, the bookcase can hold up to 30kg or 66.14 lbs. However, some products can only hold up to 15 kg or 33 lbs of weight.
Can You Add Doors To Your IKEA Hemnes Bookshelf?
The Hemnes bookshelf is known to be sturdy and elegant. The product comes with tons of amazing features. The only problem, however, is that the bookcase doesn’t come with a door.
You can always add doors to your Hemnes bookcase. For you to do that, however, the first thing you need is to assemble and attach the bookshelf to the wall – you can follow the simple steps below to do that:
- By buying an IKEA Hemnes bookcase, the very first thing you need to do is to assemble the product. You’ll find the instructions to assemble the product in the box.
- After the assembly process, the next thing is to attach the bookcase to your wall. For this part, you’ll need to first turn on the stud finder. After that, place the device around the wall (where you want to install the bookcase) and move it back and forth until it lights up. Mark the stud area and repeat the process to find another area (mark that too).
- Next, move the already assembled Hemnes bookcase to the marked wall. Now, attach the bookshelf to the wall appropriately, using the pre-drilled hole on its side. Of course, you need to place the screws properly and tighten them using a screwdriver.
How Do You Attach A Door To The Hemnes Bookcase?
Now, it’s time to construct the door of the bookcase and attach it where necessary. For this step, you need to first measure and construct the door.
- After cutting the door accordingly, you need to sand the wood. Dry fit the trim pieces to the door and afterward, use the right adhesive to hold them in place.
- Next, paint the door using your preferred color. Alternatively, you can consider staining the door. Regardless of what you’re doing, just make sure you match the color of the door to that of the bookshelf.
- Lastly, add the door to the already-hanged Hemnes bookcase. However, before doing that, you need to first add hinges to the door.